Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year. We are looking forward to working with you and your child. Our goal for this year is to make Kindergarten a positive and productive learning experience for everyone. This letter will hopefully answer some questions you may have as well as give you some insights about some of the things we will be covering in Kindergarten. If you have any questions about this letter, please ask us at Back to School Night or send us an email.
Language Arts: Reading is very important! Our goal for this year is for your child to be reading on a Level C, which is an end of Kindergarten reading level. We will be providing plenty of opportunities to read in the classroom and give you resources to use at home to help your child. We will be covering the following skills:
- Formation of all upper and lower case letters
- Letter sounds
- Rhyming and syllables
- Blending and chunking letter sounds
- CVC words (ex: cat,hop,hug)
- Word families (ex: at, et, op)
- Vowels (a,e,I,o,u)
- Writing (narrative, informative, and opinion)
- Capitalization, finger spaces between words, and punctuation marks
- Sight words (ex: I, like, the)
- Retelling a story
Math: Below are the Math skills that will be covered in Kindergarten
- Writing numbers 1-100
- Counting to 100 (by 1’s and 10’s)
- Adding and Subtracting numbers within 10
- Comparing numbers (greater than, less than, equal to)
- 2d and 3d shapes
- Sorting Objects (color, shape, size)
We would like you to work with your child over the summer on skills that your child should know before coming to Kindergarten. Here is a list of skills:
- Tying shoes (Your child should be able to tie their own shoes, if not please make sure your child wears Velcro shoes)
- Have proper bathroom etiquette (use the bathroom on their own, button/zip pants, unbuckle/buckle a belt, wash their hands) Teachers cannot help students in the bathroom.
- Children should know how to put on their sweaters, jackets, hat, gloves, scarves, etc.
- Hold a pencil, crayon, and use scissors properly
- Write their full name (first and last)
- Practice naming letters and their sounds
- Practice counting to 100
- Practice naming their shapes and colors
Class Dojo: The Class Dojo app is how we will be communicating with you on a daily basis. Please make sure you have this app downloaded and accept your teacher’s invitation. It is like Facebook but for the classroom. You will be able to see pictures of your child throughout the week, get daily updates, messages from your teacher, etc.
Homework: Homework is a home/school connection that we like to get the whole family involved. Every month you will receive a Tic-Tac-Toe board in which you could choose to do the whole board or a Tic-Tac-Toe row. You will have to initial every box you chose to do and send in any paper that may be required for that box.
Technology: Each classroom has a SmartTVs and students will have the opportunity to use iPads in class.
Behavior: “We are here to learn and be good citizens” here at PCSST we strongly believe that good behavior is important. We have a very strict behavior policy. All Kindergarten teachers have a “traffic light/color” system. For example, green= ready to learn, yellow/orange= warnings, red= did not change behavior.
Breakfast: Breakfast will be severed to all Kindergarten students each day.
Snacks: Snack is provided at the end of the day for all students by the school however, if your child has allergies or special snack requirements please send snack in with your child daily.
Lunch: Please make sure you have filled out the lunch application for your child’s lunch. If you do not have one please contact the main office. If your child does not like what is being served, please provide them with a cold lunch. We cannot heat up any lunches.
Dismissal: Monday- Friday dismissal is at 3:15pm. If there is an early dismissal, it will be at 12:30pm. If you are picking up your child, please make sure you are on time every day. You will be charged $1 per minute, per child any time after 4:00pm. If you are NOT picking up your child the person who is has to be on your child’s emergency contact list. Teachers and staff CANNOT release your child to someone who is not on the emergency contact list.
Uniform: Students are expected to wear the maroon PCSST short/long sleeve polo shirt, khaki school pants, PCSST maroon sweater, brown, black or blue shoes. If you have any questions about our school uniform policy please refer to the student handbook.
We encourage you to please contact us any time you have a question or concern. We look forward to a year filled with great new learning experiences. We are very please to have your child in our classes. Looking forward to working with you and your child!
The Kindergarten Team
KA- Ms. Burke firstname.lastname@example.org
KB- Mrs. Lambaz email@example.com
KC- Ms. Bailey firstname.lastname@example.org
KD- Ms. Muldrow email@example.com
KE- Mrs. Walker firstname.lastname@example.org
KF- Mr. Fox
Resource Teacher Ms. Mckoy email@example.com
2021-2022 Supply List
- 4 boxes of crayons (24 pack)
- 1 box of pencils
- 1- 4 pack BLACK dry erase markers
- 1 pair of headphones (no earbuds)
- 3 boxes of tissues
- 2 containers of Lysol Wipes
- 1 bottle of hand sanitizer
- 4 packs of glue sticks
- 2 picture story composition books
- 1 art pad (blank pages)
- 2 packages of erasers
- Change of clothes – shirt, underwear, socks, pants ( it does not have to be uniform clothes)