Ms. Talmadge’s PCSST BIOLOGY SYLLABUS - 2017-2018
NJ Science Course Graduation Requirements:
3 years of science with lab
Ø 1 year must be Biology with lab
Ø 1 year of either Chemistry with lab, Physics with lab, or Environmental Science with lab.
Ø 1 year of a science elective with lab.
NJ Biology Competency Test Graduation Requirement:
Ø The NJBCT is a state test all biology students must take and pass. The NJBCT measures student mastery of biology skills required to graduate from high school.
Success Guarantee: YOU HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OVER YOUR SUCCESS! Your grade will not be altered based on request or proximity to a desired level. Every decision students make throughout the year will lead to a predictable outcome with criteria that is consistent for every student.
Standards & Grading: Standards & Grading: Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) consists of three equally important dimensions for learning science; science and engineering practices, disciplinary core ideas, and cross-cutting concepts. The following student performance assessments are used to measure student success:
*Formative Assessments include, but are not limited to homework, class work, labs, quizzes, practice tests, rough drafts, and sections of projects/research papers/presentations. Formative assessments contribute to Academic Success.
*15%Academic Success will be evaluated based on the categories of:
- Classwork- time management, task-management, effort, persistence, applying knowledge to positively influence school behavior.
- Character- taking responsibility for own actions, independent work ethic and group work ethic.
- Active learning- seeks help, confidence, competence, attitude, behavior.
*85%Summative Assessments include, but are not limited to unit tests, final projects, final essays, final research papers, and final presentations. -Work Habits will also be evaluated every term based on the categories of Responsibility, Participation, Assignment Completion, & Interpersonal Skills.
Goal: Through a foundation in science based on the NGSS, students will obtain the knowledge, skills, abilities, and confidence that will serve these learners throughout their lifetime and help them reach their goals. This is achieved through participation in:
- Research- based science activities to develop the skills of observing, questioning, inferring, experimenting, calculating, analyzing and evaluating.
- Experiments - to expand and enhance a student’s natural curiosity about the world in which they live and enable them to gain knowledge needed to be successful.
Late Work: All work must be completed on the day it is due. Long-term projects must be turned in on the scheduled date. If a student is absent on that day, they must turn in the assignment the day they return to receive full credit. All other late work will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Students must see me in extenuating circumstances and may be scheduled for study hall or intervention.