Ms. Baker's 6th-Grade Language Arts
Welcome to Ms. Baker's Language Arts class! All daily and weekly assignments will be posted in Google Classroom and on the PCSST Student Information System (SIS) website (http://sis.ilearnschools.org/pcsstk6/Default.aspx).
Students will complete a Weekly Reading Log Handout. The handout must be completed for each day of the week and have a parent’s signature on Thursday. Reading logs are collection on Friday.
All students are required to reach an Accelerated Reader Points Goal each marking period by reading books during DEAR Time and taking an AR Quiz on each book read. You will receive an information sheet at the beginning of each new marking period updating you on your child’s most recent STAR Test results and new AR Points Goal.
Materials—Bring Them Every Day!
- Language Arts notebook
- Pencils (sharpened before class or during Do Now)
- Black or blue pens only
- A highlighter
- All required books and assignments (Handouts, Reference Sheets, Etc.)
- PCSST planner (Which is also your pass to go to the bathroom)
You will do well in this class only if you succeed in the following:
- Doing all assigned work with your best effort
- Turning work in on time and consistently
- Coming to class prepared and on time
- Submitting all missed work due to absences within the required time frame (number of days absent, plus one day) students will receive full credit
- Behaving appropriately during class
Making the Grade:
All requirements will be spelled out for each and every assignment/project we do, so you will know at all times how you are doing.
I do not give grades; you earn them!
DO NOT ask to retake a test unless you have completed and submitted all the assigned work for that topic/standard.
As a 6th grader, you’ve had many years of practice being a respectful and responsible student. You are expected to be a decent person and do your best in school. It all comes down to CHOICES. If you choose to be inappropriate:
Step 1: Verbal warning
Step 2: Reflection sheet sent home to be signed and points in SIS
Step 3: Referral (submitted to the school dean; Ms. Carter)
Please note, I reserve the option to go directly to Step 3 for verbal or physical harassment or something equally as hurtful, dangerous, or inconsiderate.
Helpful Hints for a Successful Year:
- Write all assignments in your planner at the beginning of the period.
- Consult your planner at home and complete assigned work.
- Complete assignments promptly. Late work for the week must be turned in the following Monday to receive late credit. Your grade is a reflection of meeting the stated objectives of this class.
- Remember to put your first and last name on your work. A paper without a name cannot receive credit.
- Organize returned papers in the proper section of your binder/folder.
- SAVE ALL YOUR PAPERS UNTIL YOU GET YOUR FINAL REPORT CARD! They are the only evidence you have in case the teacher makes an error.
- Do your very best work.
- If you have any questions or find you are struggling with a concept and/or assignment, please speak with me so that I can help you.