Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year. We are looking forward to working with you and your child. Our goal for this year is to make Kindergarten a positive and productive learning experience for everyone. This letter will hopefully answer some questions you may have as well as give you some insights about some of the things we will be covering in Kindergarten. If you have any questions about any of this, please ask us at Back to School Night or send us an email.
Language Arts: Reading is very important! Our goal for this year is for your child to be reading on a level C by the end of Kindergarten. We will be providing plenty of opportunities to read in the classroom. Please read with your child as much as possible. In Language Arts, we will be covering the following topics:
- Formation and sound of ALL upper and lowercase letters
- Rhyming and syllables
- Blending and chunking letter sounds
- CVC words (beginning, middle, ending sound)
- Word families (-at, an, ap)
- Writing (narrative, informative, opinion)
- Capitalization, spaces, punctuation in sentences
- Speaking standard English in full sentences
- Power words (words that they should be able to write on sight, ex: I, like, the, and)
- Retelling a story
Math: Below are Math topics that will be covered in Kindergarten:
- Formation of number 1-100
- Counting to 100 (by 1’s & 10’s)
- Adding and subtracting 1-10
- Comparing numbers
- 2D and 3D shapes
- Sorting objects
Skills to work on over the summer: Another main goal for our Kindergarten students is to be independent individuals by the end of Kindergarten. Please work on the following over the summer before your child comes to school:
- Tying shoes (Students should be able to tie their own shoes, if not – please make sure your child wears Velcro shoes to school)
- Students should be able to go to the bathroom on their own, which include knowing how to button, zip/unzip their pants, and how to buckle/unbuckle their belts (teachers cannot help students in the bathroom)
- Students should know how to put their sweaters, jackets, hats, gloves, etc. on properly on their own
- Hold a pencil, crayons, scissors properly
- Write their full name (first and last)
- Practice their letter names and sounds
- Practice counting to 100
- Practice naming their shapes and colors
Important paper work: Please make sure you complete the following forms before your child comes to school in September. Failure to complete some paperwork may delay your child from being able to come to school in September
- Medical forms for the nurse (students will not be allowed to come to school without this form)
- Transportation information (please provide information for how your child will be going home daily to the front office)
- Emergency contact forms (needs to be filled out for the front office)
Homework: Homework will be used as a guide to see what areas your child may excel or need extra help in. Homework should take no longer than 20 minutes in Kindergarten. If it is taking longer than this to complete the homework with your child, please let us know immediately. Also, please check your child’s folder on a nightly basis for any papers. We only give Language Arts and Math homework. Your child may receive work to finish if he/she did not finish it throughout the school day.
Technology: Students will have the opportunity to use classroom interactive Smartboards and iPads on a daily basis.
Behavior: PCSST has a very strict behavior policy. All Kindergarten teachers have a “traffic light/color” method. For example: green- good day, yellow/orange- there were some issues, red- bad behavior day. You will be notified on daily basis about your child’s behavior.
Breakfast: Breakfast is served to all Kindergarten students.
Snacks: We will have a 15-minute snack daily. If you child has allergies or special snack requirements – please send snack in with your child daily. Whatever snack the school provides is what will be given to the students (no exceptions)
Lunch: Please make sure you have filled out the lunch application on the website for your child’s lunch or you may pick one up from the secretaries. You also have the option of sending in a lunch from home with your child.
Dismissal: Monday dismissal is 2:45pm and Tuesday – Friday dismissal is 3:30pm. If there is an early dismissal it will be at 12:30 pm. If you are picking up your child, please make sure you are on time every day. Whoever is picking up your child should be on your child’s emergency contact list, teachers and secretaries cannot release your child to someone who is not on the emergency contact list.
Uniform: Students are expected to wear the maroon PCSST short/long sleeve polo, khaki school pants, PCSST maroon sweater, and brown, blue or black dress shoes. Please make sure you put your child’s name in their sweaters!
We encourage you to please contact us any time you have a question or a concern. We look forward to a year filled with great new learning experiences. We are very pleased to have your children in our classes. Looking forward to working with you and your child!
The Kindergarten Team
KA – Ms. Burke Burke@pcsst.org
KB – Mrs. Lambaz Diana. Lambaz@pcsst.org
KC – Ms. Villecca Elena. Villecca@pcsst.org
KD – Mrs. Bernabe Bernabe@pcsst.org
KE- Mrs. Walker Lyndsay. Walker@pcsst.org